Monday, May 6, 2013

Blog #13

Favorite Poem/Least favorite poem

My favorite poem that we read was "My Papa's Waltz", I feel that the poem related to the readers on a personal level making you really think about what we are trying to read between the lines about the poem.  It had the waltz quality to that and I liked that it was written that way.

My least favorite poem would be "Daddy", I felt as if the poem was a little too dark for me.  It made for an interesting read but it was more on a level of making me feel uncomfortable.  I wonder what made the writer write the poem and where she got her ideas from.

Favorite short story/Least favorite short story

My favorite short story was "Girl", because I liked how it was written.  It made more interested in reading it because it wasn't like any other short story in the format that it was shown.  I liked the details of the authority telling their daughter how to be a lady, but then contradicting what they are meaning because she then states "not like the slut you are already becoming".  I overall thought that it was a great read and recommend it to be read for future students.

My least favorite short story was "Bartleby, the Scrivener"  I didn't get into reading as much as I had wanted to.  I love to read short stories but this one just wasn't in my interest.  I feel that it didn't really make sense to me as the other stories that I read did.  I just did not like this short story personally.

"Death of a Salesman"

I think that next semester's ENG 150 should read this play.  Maybe more emphasis on the play so that they are really able to compare when they watch the movie. But in that case I feel that this play was an interested play to read. I liked it.

Watching "Bartleby" and "Death of a Salesman"

I did not like watching "Bartleby", I read the story and when we watched it I was more distracted on how the film was made.  Maybe a different version of it would have been better.  "Death of a Salesman" I felt was a good version to show the play.  I just felt that I liked watching the movie more than actually reading the play.  The movie was just easier to follow, giving an excuse to not really read the play sadly.

Favorite In-Class Activity/Least Favorite In-Class Activity

I liked having the movies or short films played when we would read something, just because it gave more to the discussion part of the activities.

I was least fond of the drawing of the story board of the stories.  It didn't go very smoothly in the group I was in and I thought that it was something that should have been easy to do but others thought to much into it.

Discussions

I liked the ALL group discussions just because everyone was able to hear what you wanted to say about what we read or what we were going over.  It was hard to get a full discussion going but when we did have something to say I felt that the all group discussions were more enjoyable.

I didn't really like the small group discussions.  I think that when you want to have small group discussions I think that you should group everyone instead of everyone picking.  I didn't feel that anyone really cared to be there when we had the smaller groups.  I felt more hesistant talking in a small group or not saying anything at all compared to the ALL group discussions.

Blog Entries

I liked the blog entries but I felt that it was honestly too much of a hassle to do.  I was more focused on my other assignments and other classes to go online and get the blog entries done on time.  I enjoyed having to write the poems and the fun creative ones compared to having to be more serious and critical with them.




2 comments:

  1. I agree with your feelings on Group discussions, I feel like they are beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I can split the difference and BEGIN each class with a large group discussion and then have the students move to small group discussions.

    ReplyDelete